STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — There are dozens of animals in the care of Staten Island’s volunteer animal rescue groups just waiting for their forever families to find them.
Click through the photos above to meet the dogs, cats, many puppies and kittens up for adoption at events this weekend.
Keep in mind, it’s not all about cute pups and kitties: There are senior and disabled pets who really need you, too!
- The Burrito Bar, 585 Forest Ave., presents “Dog Day Afternoons” every Saturday from 1 to 4 p.m. Enjoy lunch and cocktails on the patio with your best friend. (Weather permitting, of course.) Water and bowls will be provided, and 10 percent of all sales will be donated to local pet shelters/charities. Note: All dogs must be up-to-date with vaccinations, remain on a leash, and be well behaved using their best doggie-manners. For more info, call 718-815-9200 or visit TheBurritoBar.com.
- Staten Island Council for Animal Welfare volunteers introduce cats and kittens at the PetSmart Adoption Center, 1520 Forest Ave., on Saturday, June 9, from 2 to 5 p.m. and Sunday, June 10, from 1 to 4 p.m. View animals at sicaw.petfinder.com.
- Louie’s Legacy volunteers present pets at PetSmart, 1520 Forest Ave. on Saturday, June 9, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Pre-apply to adopt at LouiesLegacy.org. All available animals will be in attendance and accepting applications to go home same day. Please come prepared with vet info for any existing pets (or records if your vet is closed that day) to verify existing pets are fixed and up-to-date on shots, all family members (humans and dogs/cats; must meet their new family member). If you rent, a lease or signed letter from your landlord is needed stating you’re allowed to have a pet with any restrictions. Note: It’s not guaranteed that any animal will still be available for adoption when arrive.
- Staten Island Hope Animal Rescue Cat Rescue Group volunteers host an adoption event from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, June 9, at Petco, 2795 Richmond Ave.
HOW TO CONTACT LOCAL RESCUE GROUPS:
- Animal Care Centers of NYC, 212-788-4000, nycacc.org; located at 3139 Veterans Road West. Adoption hours: Mon-Fri: noon to 8 p.m., Sat. and Sun. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Fur Friends in Need, NJ-based group with S.I. members and adoption events on the island; 732-829-1426, email@example.com; furfriendsinneed.com.
- Happy Homes Animal Rescue, NJ-based group with S.I. adoption events; 914-393-8292 or firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;happyhomesinc.org.
- Louie’s Legacy, 646-397-LLAR (5527), firstname.lastname@example.org; and louieslegacy.org.
- Mama Chris Animal Rescue, Inc., 347-983-2240, email@example.com, mamachrisrescue.org.
- New York Bully Crew, 844-633-NYBC (6922), firstname.lastname@example.org; nybullycrew.org.
- P.L.U.T.O. Rescue of S.I., 718-227-0553, email@example.com; plutorescue.org.
- S.I. Council for Animal Welfare (SICAW), 718-948-5623, sicaw.petfinder.com
- S.I. Hope Animal Rescue, firstname.lastname@example.org statenislandhopeanimalrescue.org, 800-477-9168
- Victory for the Voiceless Animal Rescue, 718-442-1625, AdoptVictory4theVoiceless@gmail.com; victory4thevoicelessanimalrescue.com